Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Episode 7: A New Start

Holà to you chicos!




I could not leave you without any information about what happened after my housemates from Holland left and my life in my new appartment. I did not think it would be possible but time seems to fly way faster during this second semester than the previous one. By that, I mean it seems like Amal, Ciciel, Melody and Pali left just yesterday. But they actually left almost 2 months ago already... It feels crazy. The countdown has started now: I have more or less three months left here in Malaga and let me tell you I plan to enjoy it to the fullest!

After two difficult months in terms of temperature inside the appartment, I realized that my new appartment turns out to be warmer than the previous one! And that's really good news I have to say. February went so quick. Just after my Dutch friends left, my dad and stepmother, plus my older sister and her husband came to Malaga to visit me for a few days. In the end, it made me really busy so I did not really have time to get sad about the fact that my friends had left Malaga. I litterally became a touristic guide for almost a week, taking them to the places I knew and loved. We went out for tapas, but also had sangria and some special ham from Malaga (called Jamon Serrano) in one of the most famous bars of Malaga: El Pimpi (Antonio Banderas' favourite one by the way).

It was nice, we visited the region by renting a car and went to places I had not had the chance to visit before.

- We went to Nerja, which is probably the second best thing I've seen around Malaga so far after Sevilla. An awesome, beautiful spanish little town on the coast, fully made of typical white houses... Gorgeous! I wish I could show you pictures but I don't have any right now but just type Nerja in google images in order to have a little idea about it. As a matter of fact, going there for one day is probably enough, it's only 1 hour from Malaga by car (you can also get there by bus) and the good thing about it is you have a tremendous view on the sea and the coast. The village looks really cute but it's small and it won't take you more than an afternoon to see it all.

- I also went to Marbella, and what a disappointment though! Maybe it's because it was in February and it's really quiet there, but still. I think it looked actually pretty fake and definitely not worth it. It's just full of rich superficial people and jewelry shops everywhere... nothing more really. In comparison, Nerja was so much better because even if there were tourists, it just looked more honest and true to itself. I can't explain but I think I'll never go back to Marbella, it was boring.

- Same thing can be said about Gibraltar but it's only because when I went there, the weather was awful. It started to rain and we really felt like we were in England (which was actually the case). You can pay both in euros and pounds there. The rock looked so impressive, if you haven't heard about it yet, you should check it out here. The only problem is there was too much rain and humidity so there was no point climbing up there that day, and it's a shame because it's actually the whole purpose of going to Gibraltar: climb up the rock and appreciate the view and see the African continent. But hopefully, I'll go back there in a couple of weeks when the weather is nicer since my mother will visit me around that time!

- With my dad and my stepmother, since it was not far, we visited the ugly Torremolinos for an afternoon. NEVER AGAIN and I don't recommend anybody to waste even one hour there. It's just full of english tourists and contrary to Marbella, it looks really cheap. It's full of high 70s ugly buildings and awful little shops for tourists. On top of that, the beach is not even that nice.

If you want any advise from me and if you want to visit the region of Andalousia, here's my top 3 of the best things I've seen so far:

1. Malaga: It's just not the simple beach city everyone expects it to be. The beach is only a small part of it. To be honest, during the winter, it was a bit too windy on the coast, so I spent most of my time in the city centre and there are plenty of things to do there. Malaga is a very cultural city, and most people have a misconception about it. You've got several museums, two castles (including one which is said to be "a small Alhambra") and many theatres and cinemas. Moreover, there's a film festival in the city right now.

2. Sevilla: I still have no words to describe how beautiful that city is. 

3. Nerja: Just the most beautiful and typical "beach town" I've seen so far, as explained earlier in this article.

Next Article to come: A Week End in Leeds, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment